A key objective of RME is to achieve zero work related injuries and illnesses in the workplace. To ensure this objective is achieved, RME reviews Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) objectives each year for adequacy with respect to WHS performance and compliance with legislation and other requirements.
Using a risk managed approach, RME undertakes to provide:
- sufficient competent staff
- safe systems of work at all RME sites
- safe work environment at all RME sites
- safe plant, equipment, tools and personal protective equipment
- safe use, handling, storage and disposal of substances
- adequate information and training
- appropriate supervision and enforcement of policies and procedures to ensure safe work practices
- a system for eliminating or minimising hazards
- annual auditing of safety management systems
The RME Management Team is committed to ensuring a safe, supportive, protective and healthy working environment. Managers, Supervisors, Coordinators and Team Leaders have overall responsibility for the provision of a safe and healthy working environment and are accountable for health and safety performance and ensuring the Workplace Health and Safety Management System is working effectively. Employees have an obligation under their respective in-country legislation to maintain healthy and safe workplace behaviour including:
- using personal protective equipment if the equipment is provided by RME and the employee is properly instructed in its use
- not wilfully or recklessly interfering with or misusing anything provided for workplace health and safety
- not wilfully placing at risk the health and safety of any person at the workplace
- not wilfully injuring themselves.
Persons other than an employee, including students, visitors and contractors, must comply with the standards relevant to the workplace and obey safety directions at all RME locations. RME makes the above commitment and in doing so seeks the full support and cooperation of all personnel. Our Workplace Health and Safety Management System and continual improvement philosophy support this policy.